January 14, 2016
On-premise signs, word of mouth, newspapers, magazines, television and radio are all different ways to advertise a business. However, study after study has found on-premise signage to be the most effective method. In a survey conducted by the US Chamber of Commerce, 2,475 shoppers were asked how they learned about a business and 50% of the people surveyed responded, on-premise sign.
Researchers found that about 85% of your customers live or work within a five-mile radius of your business. This means that they could potentially see your sign 50 to 60 times a month. The key word here is ‘potentially.’ If your business is surrounded by other establishments on a busy road, the chances of being noticed decreases greatly. In order for your business to become the focal point of a busy street, your sign needs to be visible, readable and more prominent than the rest.
Effective signs should be able to illustrate what a store or business has to offer. Visibility, creativity and effectively using messaging are the easiest and quickest way to get a jump on your competition.
5 Key Signage Statistics
- Nearly 75% of consumers admitted they have entered a store they knew nothing about because of their sign.
- About 75% of consumers disclosed that they have told others about a business based on its signage.
- The addition of new signage to previously unsigned buildings, and the replacement of existing signage (generally with larger signs) resulted in an average revenue increase of 10% annually.
- Signage is the least expensive, yet most effective form of advertising for retail businesses.
- About 70% of consumers believe that a store’s signage is reflective of the quality of its products and services.